Algae has the ability to offer two to 20 times higher yield than existing biofuel feedstock including corn stover, corn, sorghum and beet which is likely to open new avenues for the industry growth over the projected period. Increasing R&D conducted by numerous startup companies as well as various oil & gas majors, and university-led research consortiums are expected to propel production of the over the projected period. However, technological challenges and high capital investment in algae biomass and fuel production are expected to limit the industry growth.
Growing demand for low cost, reliable and sustainable energy sources to ease acute vulnerability to petroleum supply chain and meet the rising fuel demand by automotive and aviation sector is expected to have a positive impact on the industry growth over the forecast period. The industry is experiencing three major hurdles including maintaining algae biomass cultivation consistency across various regions and climates, high water demand for algae production and lack of technology innovation to commercial scale up. As a result, the market is expected to foresee regional partnerships and collaborations to capitalize the production and technology exchange for large scale productions.
Browse full research report with TOC on "Algae Biofuel Market Estimates & Trend Analysis By Application (Transportation, Others), By Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Rest of World), By Country, And Segment Forecasts, 2018 - 2025" at: http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/algae-biofuel-market
Further key findings from the report suggest:
- Transportation is expected to dominate the algae biofuel market accounting over 70 per cent of the overall demand by 2025, owing to its high potential to replace diesel and gasoline in automotive vehicles
- In Europe, the demand for the product in transportation application is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 12 per cent from 2018 to 2025. High demand for biodiesel in the European countries owing to the government regulations and high adoption rate in the region is expected to propel industry growth.
- North America is expected to be the largest market accounting over 30 per cent, owing to high investment by the start-up companies and the U.S. government to support renewable energy sector over
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a CAGR of over eight per cent to reach the revenue of over two billion by 2025, owing rapid technological advancements and low raw material costs in the region
- In 2010, the U.S. based Solazyme, Inc. delivered over 36,000 liters of 100 per cent algae-derived biofuel to the U.S. Navy, for testing and certification purpose, which was seen as key step towards product commercialization
- The major players in the algae biofuel industry include Algenol, Blue Marble Production, Solazyme Inc., Sapphire Energy, Culture Biosystems, Origin Oils Inc., Proviron, Genifuels, Algae Systems, Solix Biofuels, Algae Production Systems and Reliance Life Sciences