USDA awards woody biomass grants
June 24, 2010, Washington, D.C. – More than $4.2 million in U.S. federal grants have been awarded to 13 small businesses and community groups using woody biomass from hazardous fuel reduction projects on National Forest land.
June 24, 2010 By USDA
2010, Washington, D.C. – More than $4.2 million in U.S. federal grants have
been awarded to 13 small businesses and community groups using woody biomass from
hazardous fuel reduction projects on National Forest land. The grants are for
developing innovative renewable energy projects and new products.
recipients are required to provide at least 20% of the total project cost.
Non-federal matching funds total more than $9 million. In Arizona, for example,
Cooley Forest Products will purchase a mobile canter saw, allowing it to
process small logs at a forest landing, thereby reducing transportation costs.
West Range Reclamation in Colorado can now acquire a delimber/debarker,
allowing it to efficiently process beetle-killed trees.
Forest Service Woody Biomass Utilization grant program was established in 2005
and is administered by the State and Private Forestry, Technology Marketing
Unit, at the USDA Forest Products Laboratory in Madison, Wisconsin. The program
has provided over $30.6 million towards various projects, ranging from biomass
boilers for heating schools and prisons to helping forest-based businesses
acquire equipment to improve processing efficiencies. In total, 123 grants have
been awarded to small businesses, non-profits, First Nations, and state
recipients were chosen from 185 applications. The following are the 2010 Woody
Biomass Utilization grantees:
- Headrick Logging, Anderson, CA $350,000
- Sierra Resource Management, Jamestown, CA $329,000
- Del Logging Inc., Bieber, CA $350,000
- Cooley Forest Products, Phoenix, AZ $350,000
- J. W. Bamford Inc., Oroville, CA $300,000
- West Range Reclamation, Crawford, CO $350,000
- Arizona Log and TimberWorks, Eagar, AZ $350,000
- JL Shavings, Tularosa, NM $350,000
- San Carlos Apache Timber Products, San Carlos, AZ $272,770
- Warner Enterprises, Redding, CA $350,000
- Foothills Firewood, Lyons, OR $325,014
- Restoration Solutions, Corona, NM $350,000
- ABCO Wood Recycling, Post Falls, ID $200,000
Print this page