Nominees announced for Ontario sustainable energy awards
By Ontario Sustainable Energy Association
Jan. 11, 2018 - On Thursday, Feb. 8, 2018, hundreds will gather at the Fontana Primavera Event Centre (77 Woodstream Boulevard, Vaughan, Ont.) to celebrate nominees of the 8th Annual Powering for Prosperity Ontario Sustainable Energy Awards, hosted by award-winning comedian, actress and author Carla Collins.
By Ontario Sustainable Energy Association
The annual event, hosted by the Ontario Sustainable Energy Association (OSEA) highlights nominees in the areas of leadership, sustainable projects, community projects, non-profit organizations and sustainable enterprises (a full list of nominees can be found below). Starting at 5 p.m., attendees of the gala will be treated to a networking reception and silent auction, followed by a formal awards ceremony, keynote address from CEO and co-founder of Corporate Knights magazine, Toby A. A. Heaps and a talk from honoured guest speaker Environmental Commissioner of Ontario, Dr. Dianne Saxe.
The nominees for this year’s awards are:
LEADER OF THE YEAR
· Joanna Osawe – Co-Founder and Chair, Women in Renewable Energy (WiRE)
· Sonja Winkelmann – Director Net Zero Housing, Canadian Home Builders Association
· Subhi Alsayed – Vice President of Sustainable Development, Mattamy Homes
· Mikele Brack – Founder, Urban Living Futures
· Matthew Britt – Co-Founder. SWITCH Energy
· Shohreh Sabaghpour – CEO, Lumesmart Inc
· Dana Decent – Manager, Intact Centre on Climate Adaptation, University of Waterloo
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION OF THE YEAR
· EcoBusiness Network (formerly Durham Sustain Ability)
· TREC Education
· Biomass North
· Women in Renewable Energy (WiRE)
SUSTAINABLE ENTERPRISE OF THE YEAR
· Windular Research & Technology Inc.
· Enwave Energy Corporation
· Greening Homes Ltd.
· GM Canada
· SWITCH Energy
SMARTNet Alliance’s SMARTpreneur OF THE YEAR
· Warren Abar – iSolara
· Jerri Rodrigs – Rumidifier
· Matthew Jaglowitz – Exactus Energy
· Herb Lagois – Lagois Drafting and Construction Inc
Enbridge’s COMMUNITY PROJECT OF THE YEAR
· Just Food – Solar Energy Project (co-sponsored by Bullfrog and Beau’s)
· Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-Op – Alfred Solar Energy Project
· Ottawa Salus – Karen’s Place Renewable Energy Project
· Mount Dennis Community Association – Metrolinx Energy Innovation Project
· Lumesmart – Various Community Workshops
SUSTAINABLE PROJECT OF THE YEAR
· Windular – Nungesser Lake Tower (co-sponsored by Bell Canada)
· Sustainable Waterloo Region – Evolv1 Project (co-sponsored by The Cora Group)
· Mohawk College – The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation
· Greening Homes – The Morse Street Retrofit
· The Viessmann Group – Wood Biomass Boiler at Canadian Headquarters
“The Powering for Prosperity Ontario Sustainable Energy Awards are the industry standard in recognizing sustainable energy innovation and leadership throughout Ontario,” says OSEA Interim Executive Director Janis Wilkinson. “The individuals and organizations that will be recognized this year are significantly contributing to providing a sustainable future in Ontario through environmental stewardship, economic development, and social reform.”
Since it’s inception over 16 years ago, OSEA has been at the vanguard of the energy sector working with communities, businesses, institutions, and public and private sector organizations to champion its vision of a prosperous Ontario with thriving sustainable energy sector powered, heated, cooled and moved by portfolios of renewable energy, conservation and energy efficiency technologies, creating good jobs, resilient communities and healthy environments. With 2017 acting as a transition year, OSEA recently underwent a full strategic and tactical analysis of the association, in order to further drive communication initiatives for years to come.
OSEA is pleased to welcome an extensive group of sponsors in support of its 8th annual awards ceremony. Supporters include: Enbridge, SMARTNetAlliance.ca, Landmark Home Solutions, Polaron Solartech and Willms & Shier.
Tickets for this year’s event can be purchased at https://www.ontario-sea.org/powering-prosperity-awards, starting at $195.00 (OSEA members) and $295.00 (non-members).
The Ontario Sustainable Energy Association (OSEA) advocates for its members and the public to provide education and promote sustainable initiatives through policy development, B2B collaboration, and public awareness campaigns.
OSEA strongly believes that sustainable development all starts with education. It recognizes that the current market is skeptical to transition to renewable sources of energy due to a lack of holistic understanding. The key role of OSEA is to provide public awareness by working closely with primary, secondary and post-secondary schools and institutions, establishing forums for the residential, industrial and commercial marketplace and facilitating a more in-depth collaboration between distributors and manufacturers within Canada, while simultaneously, closely working with advising decision makers, policy members and government officials.